Thursday, October 30, 2008

Keys not working In VMware

I'm posting this primarily as a reminder to me, but perhaps it will help some else as well. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 beta 64bit, installed VMware 6.5 and my up and down arrows were not working (one was opening the windows menu and some other crazy stuff). A co-worker of mine pointed me towards this handy little fix:

Function/arrow keys, etc. not working

This is an upstream bug in VMware’s code. If your keyboard is not functioning correctly in VMware, add this line to ~/.vmware/config (create file if necessary):

xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true

http://www.ultimalinux.com/wiki/VMware


Worked like a charm. Awesome.





11 comments:

Unknown said...

It turns out that the same behavior happens under Ubuntu Intrepid, VMWare ESX 3.0 and VMware Server Console 1.0.4, and that the same fix solves the problem. I'll see if any of my co-workers have noticed the problem as well.

Unknown said...

Worked great for me. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Excellent cheers

Sam said...

Ace. Needed it for Ubuntu 8.10. Kudos to ya.

Unknown said...

This worked for me on Ubuntu Intrepid 64b running VMWare Player 2.5.1. Thanks a lot.

David L. said...

Thank you VERY much.

zmurf said...

This worked great. Tanks.

Running VMWare 6.5 on Xubuntu-x86_64 8.10 with kernel 2.6.27-9

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Some One Some Where said...

Thanks for the very useful tip.

Jeff Moss said...

Same behaviour on Virtual Server 2.0 on Fedora 10 x86_64.

Fix works perfectly...thank you very much!

Cheers
Jeff

Unknown said...

Worked like a dream, Workstation 6.5 with Fedora 10.